Monday, January 31, 2011

Taming of the Shrew and Spankings from "The Duke"


With all this talk of Taming of the Shrew (and since I chose to read and study this one for my comedy play), I have been wondering why the play is still so popular even today. I was wondering how many modern adaptations in the U.S. have been made of the play, and I found this list:

"Kiss Me Kate"--1948
"10 Things I Hate About You"--1999
"Deliver Us From Eva"--2003

That list seemed kind of short and incomplete, so I was trying to think of other movies that had a similar storyline, and it didn't take long before I found one: "McClintock," a John Wayne classic! I love John Wayne movies--not ashamed of it--so I have decided to try to connect plots and characters as much as possible. For those of you that have not seen this one, check out the IMDB plot summary and see if that tickles your fancy. I will be writing a blog about my connections!

Anybody have any other beautifully-connected or even loosely-based modern adaptations of the Taming?