Tuesday, April 5, 2011

HubBlog

That's right: I invented a new word for this post, just like Shakespeare did over and over again in his writings. I'm not sure he would be proud of this one, but the fact remains--it's a new word.

So it's time to wrap things up nicely here on the Shakespeare blog for my BYU class. I am supposed to make a "hub post" that shows links to important posts regarding my topic of Shakespeare and words. It is also supposed to reference sources I've used that contributed to my writings.

The first post about words in Shakespeare was this one which discusses how Shakespeare brought hope for the future of the English language, and how he enriched the language and introduced more variety to the dictionary.

Another post that contributed nicely to my work is the post about "jaded." It was interesting to investigate a specific word and see different articles about where the word came from. It is a good example of a word that Shakespeare brought to life (although some articles and histories report that the word was already in use, Shakespeare certainly made it more popular.)

The most popular post regarding Shakespeare and words is this one about the dynamics of the English language. The Oxford English Dictionary added several acronyms to the dictionary recently, so I thought to start a debate/conversation about whether these additions are beneficial to the English language or if they dilute or corrupt it. Shakespeare certainly added many words to the dictionary, and people praise him for it. Does the same thing apply to the changes in the dictionary today?

In addition to the online sources I've linked to in these posts, I also used a couple outside literary sources to contribute to my research:

Necessary Shakespeare, by David Bevington
The Age of Shakespeare, by Frank Kermode
Oxford English Dictionary
The Riverside Shakespeare, edited by G. Blakemore Evans and J. J. M. Tobin

My thesis can be found in the most recent post before the current one.